UPDATE – Common causes that delay property sale transactions…

Date Added 21.09.22

Following on from our article relating to the common causes that delay property sales transactions, first published in 2017.  We have updated the contact information for the various parties you may need to contact when preparing to sell your property in order to prevent any delays tot he process;

  1. If the property is less than 10 years old provide the original NHBC (or equivalent) documents.  Duplicate NHBC certificates can be obtained at https://www.nhbc.co.uk/homeowners/find-your-policy-document.
  2. If the property has been extended, the planning permission, building regulation approval and completion certificate will be required.  In the event that these were not obtained when you purchased the property, you should contact your conveyancer as they may hold electronic copies that they can email to you.  Please do not contact the local authority without speaking to your new conveyancer if you do not hold the consents.
  3. Since April 2002, the installation of new windows and glazed doors must be covered by a Building Regulation Compliance Certificate issued by a member of an authorised Competent Person Scheme being either FENSA or CERTASS or directly by the local authority.

FENSA (0207 6453700) www.fensa.org.uk/fensa-certificate  Current charge £25 online.

CERTASS (01292 502396) current charge £24 – email info@certass.com

  1. Since 1 January 2005, any rewiring or electrical alterations should be carried out by a contractor who is registered with NICEIC or NAPIT. The contractor should provide an electrical installation certificate and, unless minor works, a Building Regulation Compliance Certificate.

NICEIC (0333 0156625 – customer services) the certificate is free if requested by telephone and £25 if obtained online www.checkmynotification.com

NAPIT (0345 5430330 – option 2).  The current charge is £12 for an emailed copy or £30 for a hard copy.

  1. If a new boiler has been installed since 1 April 2005, any installation must be carried out by a qualified contractor. They will automatically inform the local authority that works have been carried out on your property and you will be issued with a Building Regulation Compliance Certificate.

If the boiler was installed between April 2005 and March 2009, duplicate certificates can be obtained from CORGI (01256 548040) info@corgitechnical.com – £40 plus vat.

If installed after March 2009, duplicate certificates can be obtained from GAS SAFE REGISTER (Tel: 0800 4085500). The current cost is £6.12 for a PDF copy.

  1. Any installation of a log burner requires a HETAS certificate which HETAS will be happy to provide.  they can be contacted by Telephone: 01684 278170, email info@hetas.co.uk – or by visiting the website here – the cost is £24 plus vat.
  2. If a chimney is swept, a certificate from the contractor is required – ensure you have a copy available.
  3. You may have guarantees for damp or timber work carried out at the property and the originals will be required.  In addition, the guarantee will usually refer to a report or contract and this will also be needed.  Duplicates can be obtained from the contractor.

If you need more information regarding the common causes that delay property sale transactions or are considering selling your home and would like further advice and guidance…Talk to Tollers on 01604 258558 and our team will assist you with all your conveyancing needs.

All things Tollers

We partner with...

Headway Accreditation 2024
SIA Business Member Badge
Santander Logo
Barclays Logo
Sports Aid Logo
Harlestone Park Logo
NGC logo
Northamptonshire County Cricket Club Logo
Legal Fees Insurance Logo