Uppingham is the smallest market town in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands. It is located between Leicester and Peterborough and is approximately 6 miles south of the larger county town of Oakham. The main part of the town sits on top of an east/west ridge.
The Historic Market Town
Uppingham has been a functioning market town since the 14th century and has the only Fatstock show still to be held in temporary penning in a traditional market town, with farmers bringing their livestock in November each year to enter them into the various judging categories. The town has been called a vintage English market town and many locals refer to it as Stamford in miniature.
The town is renowned for its public school ‘Uppingham School’, which was founded in 1584 by Robert Johnson, Archdeacon of Leicester, who also founded Oakham School in the same year. The school is considered one of Britain’s best schools for music and also houses one of the largest private theatres in the country. The School has gone from strength to strength as a leading public school and transitioned to co-educational between 1973-75. Over 90% of the 700 pupils are full boarders and the sixth form consistently has over 300 pupils.
Famous Local Landmark
The Eyebrook Reservoir near Uppingham is most famously known as having been used by Lancaster bombers flying from RAF Scampton as the final practice run for the 617 Squadron Dambusters prior to Operation Chastise, the attack on the Ruhr valley Dams in May 1943, which was epitomised in the Epic film The Dambusters made in 1955.
As part of the merger between Tollers and Simmonds Grant which took place in December 2016, the small high street office became Simmonds Grant part of Tollers. The specialist team based in the Uppingham office provide the local community with a highly experienced conveyancing team, with in-depth local market knowledge, as well as benefiting from having access to all of the legal resources Tollers has to offer both For You and For Business.
31 High Street East
Sat Nav LE15 9PY
Telephone 01572 821 184