Tollers Solicitors have a long history with Kettering having been founded in the town in1877 by Mr Edward Paul Toller, when he opened his legal practice ‘Edward Paul Toller Solicitors’ at the age of 24.
The first office was opened at 56 Montagu Street in Kettering, with a move to 1 Gas Street in 1880 followed by a further move two years later to the High Street in Kettering, as the practice grew.
The practice offered several different legal services, including drafting Wills, drawing up deeds and settlements, arranging mortgages and loans, dealing with bankruptcy petitions and claims, acting as a steward and estate management, to name but a few.
In January 1914 Edwards only son, Northcote Toller joined the practice and it became the partnership ‘Toller and Son’ – sadly Northcote was killed 2 years later during the battle of the Somme, when he fell at High Wood.
Tollers Solicitors Kettering Office
After nearly 50 years of practice, in 1925, Leslie Frank Hale joined the partnership and the firm was renamed Messrs. Toller, Son and Hales. At the same time the practice moved to 1 Church Walk which was to be its home for the next 40 years.
It is not known when Edward Toller retired, but he is thought to have worked well into his 70’s.
In 1959 Michael Francis Collcutt joined the Practice. Mr Collcutt became a driving force of the firm, being promoted to senior partner 5 years after he joined and one year later in 1965 the firm changed its name to Toller, Hales and Collcutt Solicitors – a name that has long been known in Northamptonshire.
In 1967 the Firm relocated to 55 The Headlands where it remained for the next 43 years.
In 1969 Mr Collcutt started to grow the partnership base of the practice through the introduction of 6 new partners, this move along with Mr Collcutt’s vision and leadership started the transformation and expansion of the practice into what it has become today.
Sat Nav NN15 6WJ
Telephone 01536 520 111