Get Ready For GDPR Some Handy Tips
No doubt many of you have been inundated with invites to seminars to discuss GDPR. However, the reality is that it is coming into force on 25th May 2018 and we all need to be ready for it.
Handy HR steps to follow:
Don’t forget that GDPR compliance is not just an HR issue but affects the whole business. To get ready for GDPR, you’ll need to:
- Make sure you have the resources to get ready. Getting compliant can cost time and money, so get the powers that be on board;
- Carry out a data audit. What personal data do you hold and where and what do you do with it?
- Ask yourself why you’re holding that data. Do you actually use it?
- Ask yourself if you have a legal basis for processing personal data?
- Update your policies and review your employment contracts;
- Review and update your internal processes. You’ll need to know how to restrict someone’s data if they ask or be able to detect security breaches;
- Review and update any commercial contracts or contracts with third parties;
- Appoint a person responsible for data protection compliance within your organisation;
- Train those will be responsible for data protection compliance; and
- Keep it under review! It’s important to stay compliant.
What does this mean to you?
Failure to comply with GDPR can result in a fine of up to €20,000,000 or 4% of your global turnover, whichever is higher. There are also various criminal offences. Remember the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) is likely to be harder on those companies who have done nothing.
Talk to Tollers
If you haven’t updated your handbooks or reviewed your contracts, now is the time to do it. At Tollers we’re here for you, so why not let us review your handbook and contracts and help bring them line so that they’re GDPR compliant. We can also review your commercial or third party contracts and terms of business, so Talk to Tollers.
We are happy to come out and see you to discuss your GDPR needs and see how you’re getting on with GDPR compliance. If you’d like us to visit then please contact us. We’re here for you.