7 Misconceptions About Personal Injury Claims
There is so much negative press about the Personal Injury industry, having worked with these lawyers for only a little while, what struck me was their passion and dedication to their clients – yes that’s right – you read that correctly, they are not really the stereotypical thoughts you would normally associate with solicitors!
I am not really sure where the consensus has sprung from, maybe it is the public protests insurance companies have uttered, maybe it is the few bad eggs that have attempted fraudulent claims or maybe it is from the government who seem to constantly want to ‘cap’ compensations made against public authorities who have been negligent. The imbalance between the public’s perception and the reality is so disparate that it moved me to compose this article:
7 Misconceptions About Personal Injury Claims
- Most of the claimants are scammers and are just after free money. You couldn’t be further from the truth. Whilst every law firm encounter those that are trying it on, these are swiftly dismissed by the firm. The vast majority of the cases are legitimate and heart breaking. As a personal injury firm we have fought for compensation for a variety of individuals, from a young lad who was left brain damaged after life guards in a public pool failed in their duties, to a lady who was left with serious injuries after being run over crossing the road and even cases where patients were giving the wrong treatments resulting in conditions far worse than the original complaint. In the case of the latter two, compensation was required to cover loss of earnings – just think – if you are unable to work for the rest of your life, what would happen to your mortgage payments, your food shopping, the kids school uniform, the utility bills? In the first example mentioned above and in so many tragic cases we see, who will pay for the specialist equipment needed for him to live a semblance of a normal life, the extra care this young man will need for the rest of his life, the ongoing specialist therapies needed. Don’t for a minute think the NHS will pick up the tab for all these requirements, it simply doesn’t have the resources it used to. So who should pay? If someone is seriously injured through no fault of their own, shouldn’t they be taken care of?
- You will have to wait years and years to see any benefit from a personal injury claim. Very wrong. At Tollers Personal Injury, in some cases, we are able to arrange interim payments to start the rehabilitation process as soon as possible.
- Only Greedy People make a claim: Here are a couple of horrifying statistics from the HSE website in 2014/2015 142 people were killed at work in the UK. In 2013, there were 2,538 mesothelioma deaths due to past asbestos exposures. The vast majority of personal injury claims are made because the people involved want to prevent these injuries or deaths from happening to anyone else. In a number of industry surveys, the number 1 motive for making a claim is to stop anyone else being injured in the same way.
- It is too expensive to make a personal injury claim: the vast majority of personal injury law firms will offer a ‘No Win, No Fee’ policy including Tollers which means if unsuccessful you don’t have to pay a fee. If you win, the costs of making a claim are recovered from the other side.
- I don’t like confrontation, I don’t want to face that alone. Most people don’t. This is where that passion I mentioned above comes in, one of the things that most surprised me – I guess I had the same impression of solicitors as almost every other member of the public: highly professional, cold, standoffish etc. Whilst the first in an undeniable truth the other two couldn’t be further from it. Solicitors are human too and it is clear these cases effect personal injury lawyers as much as they would do the rest of us. Take a look at this heart felt article from Tollers Partner and Catastrophic Personal Injury Lawyer, David Boobyer and you will see exactly what I mean! Tollers personal injury lawyers are there to guide you each and every step of the way. We are with you until the case conclusion and will shoulder as much of the burden as we possibly can.
- You will be facing a long and drawn out court process. Whilst we cannot completely burst this myth, we can say that the majority of personal injury claims are settled before they reach court. However, there are times when an offer is made by the other side and we will advise you reject it as we believe you are entitled to a much higher sum… in these instances it is our belief you will need it!
- The injury happened too long ago to do anything about it now. It does depend upon the circumstances of the injury, but in most cases you have up to 3 years from the accident or when you became aware of the injury to initiate a claim process.
It is my hope that this article will help to re-educate readers on the reasons why Personal Injury claims are made. If you have any queries about the contents of this article and how to make a personal injury claim you can find a wealth of information on the Tollers website or you can call our free phone number 0333 414 9123.