Sale Of A Residential Property
Our fees cover all of the work required to complete the sale of your new home.
Conveyancer’s fees and disbursements
|Sale price £||Fee|
|0 – 125,000||£450 + VAT (a total of £540) – £900 + VAT (a total of £1080)|
|125,001 – 250,000||£500 + VAT (a total of £600) – £1000 + VAT (a total of £1200)|
|250,001 – 500,000||£600 + VAT (a total of £720) – £1090 + VAT (a total of £1308)|
|500,001 – 750,000||£750 + VAT (a total of £900) – £1400 + VAT (a total of £1680)|
|750,001 – 2,000,000||Depending on the value and complexity of the transaction, the fee will be between £2,500 + VAT (a total of £3,000) – £10,000 + VAT (a total of £12,000)|
|If the transaction is a leasehold property we add an additional £200 + VAT (a total of £240) and shared ownership an additional £250 + VAT (a total of £300. If you require a mortgage we charge an additional administration fee of £125 per redemption/discharge.|
If your matter requires additional work that is not included in this estimate, you will be informed of this of this and what additional cost will be at the earliest possible time. Matters typically exceed the quoted fee when they are particularly complicated, for example where third party restrictions need removing from the title, the additional cost will be £75 + VAT (a total of £90) per restriction.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third-parties, such on a leasehold the fee for a management pack. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process (we do require funds on account first). There are certain disbursements which will be set out in the individual leasehold sales relating to the Property. The disbursements which we anticipate will apply are set out separately below. This list is not exhaustive and other disbursements may apply depending on the terms of the lease. We will update you on the specific fees upon receipt and review of the contract/lease from the seller’s solicitors.
- HM Land Registry fees for office copies – Usually £6 for a freehold
- Leasehold/freehold management company – Management Pack – Often the fee is between £50-350.
These fees vary from property to property and can on occasion be significantly more than the ranges given above. We can give you an accurate figure once we have sight of your specific documents.
An illustration is shown below based on a freehold sale at £135,000 with a mortgage
|Sale price: £135,000|
|In respect of the sale of the above property||500.00||100.00||600.00|
|In dealing with the discharge of your existing mortgage||125.00||25.00||150.00|
|Telegraphic Transfer Fees||35.00||7.00||42.00|
|Disbursements (payments to others)|
|Official Copy Entries||6.00||6.00|
|Total of expected disbursements:||6.00|
Stages of the process
These are the key stages of the process:
- Obtain a copy of the property particulars from the Estate Agent (if any)
- Investigate Title before drafting contract
- Check Seller’s replies to the Seller’s Property Information Form
- Draft contract and forward to Buyers representative
- If leasehold obtain funds from you for the leasehold management/landlord pack
- Deal with enquiries raised by the Buyer’s representative. Liaising with you where necessary
- Advise you on the signing of the contract
- Facilitate exchange
- Facilitate completion
- Settle your account from balances with the estate agents (if any)
- Redeem your mortgage (if any) with your mortgage lender
- Account to you for any proceeds of sale by cheque (if a same day transfer is required, please note the additional fee)
How long will my house sale take?
How long it will take from your offer being accepted until you can move into your house will depend on a number of factors. The average process takes between 8–12 weeks. It can be quicker or slower, depending on the parties in the chain. For example, if you are selling a leasehold property that requires an extension of the lease, this can take significantly longer, between 3–6 months. In such a situation, additional charges would apply.
Our fee assumes that:
- this is a standard transaction and that no unforeseen matters arise including for example (but not limited to) a defect in title which requires remedying prior to completion or the preparation of additional documents ancillary to the main transaction;
- if it is a lease it is the assignment of an existing lease and is not the grant of a new lease;
- the transaction is concluded in a timely manner and no unforeseen complications arise;
- all parties to the transaction are co-operative and there is no unreasonable delay from the parties providing documentation;
- no indemnity policies are required. Additional disbursements may apply if indemnity policies are required.
Our experienced conveyancers, led by Mandy Stark, Head of Residential Conveyancing, will work with you to provide the best possible service.
Mandy Stark – Partner/Head of Residential Conveyancing
Mandy is Head of the Department at Tollers with over 20 years’ experience in private client work, specialising in residential conveyancing. Mandy has been working in this area since 1997 and has helped thousands of clients with their residential property needs.
Mandy qualified as a Licensed Conveyancer in 2008 after gaining a Law Degree from Leicester University and completing her Legal Practice Course at De Montfort University.
Having worked in local and national firms before joining Tollers in 2015 Mandy has a broad range of experience.
Mandy has completed several professional development courses in residential conveyancing and continues to do so annually.
She became a Partner in 2018
Angela Aitken– Conveyancing Manager
Angela has worked in residential conveyancing for over 21 years. Angela has worked in both small and national firms gaining an expansive knowledge of residential conveyancing. Angela joined Tollers in 2015. Angela deals with all aspects of residential conveyancing including Sales, Purchases and re-mortgages. She has completed over 1,000 transactions during her time at Tollers and over 5,000 during her career.
David Wootton – Senior Associate/Conveyancing Manager
David has been working in the residential conveyancing team at Tollers since 1979 starting straight from school. David specialises in adverse possession matters for Tollers. He has dealt with over 100 of these matters during his time at Tollers and completed over 8,000 sales, purchases, remortgages and transfer of equity matters.
Sian Evans – Associate/Conveyancing Manager
Sian qualified as a Solicitor in 2005. She attended the University of Northampton for her first degree and the University of Wales for her Masters Degree. Sian completed her post graduate Legal Practice Course in 2002.
She has been working in the residential conveyancing team at Tollers since 2012 having spent previous years in firms in Colchester, Daventry, Newtown, Powys and Leicester. Sian has completed over 1,000 sales, purchases, remortgages and transfer of equity matters in her time with Tollers.
Louise Wilson – Conveyancing Manager
Louise qualified as a Licensed Conveyancer in 2001. She attended University College Northampton.
Louise has been working in the residential conveyancing team at Tollers since 2000 having spent previous years in leading local firms. Louise specialises in sale and purchase matters. During her time at Tollers she has completed over 2,000 sales, purchases and remortgages.