Employment Tribunal Costs
Price and services notice for unfair or wrongful dismissal
The costs for our services are calculated mainly by reference to the amount of time spent on your matter.
An estimate of our pricing for bringing and defending claims for unfair or wrongful dismissal (including attendance at a Tribunal hearing) is:
- Simple case: between £10,000 – £15,000 + VAT (a total of between £12,000 – £18,000)
- Medium complexity case: between £15,000 – £25,000 + VAT (a total of between £18,000 – £30,000)
- High complexity case: from £25,000 + VAT (a total from £30,000 or more)
Some typical factors which might make a case more complex:
- Where it is necessary to make or defend applications to amend claims or to provide further information about an existing claim
- Defending claims that are brought by litigants in person
- Making or defending a costs application
- Complex preliminary issues such as whether the claimant is disabled (if this is not agreed by the parties)
- The number of witnesses and documents
- If it is an automatic unfair dismissal claim e.g. if you are dismissed after blowing the whistle on your employer
- Allegations of discrimination which are linked to the dismissal
These fees cover the work in relation to the following key stages of making or defending a claim:
- Taking your initial instructions, reviewing the papers and advising you on merits and likely compensation (this is likely to be revisited throughout the matter and subject to change)
- Entering into pre-claim conciliation where this is mandatory to explore whether a settlement can be reached
- Preparing claim or response
- Reviewing and advising on claim or response from other party
- Exploring settlement and negotiating settlement throughout the process
- Preparing or considering a schedule of loss
- Preparing for (and attending) a Preliminary Hearing
- Exchanging documents with the other party and agreeing a bundle of documents
- Taking witness statements, drafting statements and agreeing their content with witnesses
- Preparing bundle of documents
- Reviewing and advising on the other party’s witness statements
- Agreeing a list of issues, a chronology and/or cast list
- Preparation and attendance at a Final Hearing
The stages set out above are just an indication and if some of stages above are not required, the fee will be reduced. You may wish to handle the claim yourself and only have our advice in relation to some of the stages. This can also be arranged based on your individual needs.
The time that it takes from taking your initial instructions to the final resolution of your case depends largely on the stage at which your case is resolved. If a settlement is reached during pre-claim conciliation, your case is likely to take up to 8 weeks. If your claim proceeds to a Final Hearing, your case is likely to take between 6 and 12 months. This is just an estimate and we will of course be able to give you a more accurate timescale once we have more information and as the matter progresses.
The following fee earners deal with unfair or wrongful dismissal:
Gary Tait, Solicitor and Partner
Gary is the head of our Employment team and has over 27 years’ experience in employment matters. Gary specialises in a number of areas, including settlement agreements, unfair and wrongful dismissal and Employment Tribunals and has a vast experience working with both individual and corporate clients.
Gary qualified as a Solicitor in 1992 and has a Masters Degree in Employment Law. He is a member of the Employment Lawyers Association.
Gary charges £285 plus VAT per hour (a total of £342).
Rebecca List, Solicitor and Partner
Rebecca has over 10 years’ experience in employment matters. Rebecca specialises in a number of areas, including settlement agreements, unfair and wrongful dismissal, Employment Tribunals, TUPE and redundancies and has a vast experience working with both individual and corporate clients.
Rebecca qualified as a Solicitor in 2009. She is a member of the Employment Lawyers Association.
Rebecca charges £285 plus VAT per hour (a total of £342).