Academy Legal Support
Tollers has developed a legal support package that is specifically designed to assist Academy Trusts. The package has a clear, budgeted one-off annual fee which can be spread over instalments to help your cash-flow. There is no onerous rolling contract or minimum notice periods to worry about and subsequent plans can be agreed on an annual basis depending on previous usage and future needs.
When working with our existing Academy clients, we identified a desire for:
- Quick “direct to solicitor” access for specialist legal advice with local knowledge;
- A “one-stop shop” for those areas of law which an Academy most commonly encounters;
- Services that are cost-effective and manageable within a school’s annual budget with added value;
- A designated point of contact providing a personal and dedicated service; and
- Straight-forward, practical and assured advice.
Academy Legal Support Package
At the heart of the Academy package is an assigned solicitor who will maintain regular contact with you throughout the term of the contract and will attend face-to-face review meetings. Your assigned solicitor will be the first port of call when questions arise and will co-ordinate with our wide range of specialist and experienced legal advisors. We’re on hand to provide support and advice on everyday legal issues and general enquiries. With an agreed plan in place, you can feel free to run any questions past us, no matter how small, without having to justify the usual expense on a case-by-case basis.
Your 12 month plan is initially calculated on the number of schools within the Trust and provides you with access to an allowance of legal advice and support at a transparent and beneficial hourly rate. Additional hours can be purchased as a bolt-on at agreed rates. Unused hours can be carried over to a subsequent year (up to 10 hours per Trust).
Tollers’ team has the experience and local knowledge to support you on the following legal areas:
- Commercial contracts: this section includes agency contracts, IT contracts, outsourced contracts for
catering, cleaning and core services, confidentiality agreements, contracts for shared services and joint use of
- Intellectual Property: includes advice on all intellectual property matters, including copyright, trademark
protection and infringement, design rights;
- Data Protection: advice on the new GDPR requirements, an assessment on your current policies and
procedures to ensure compliance;
- Company law: this comprises advice on the Trust’s internal governance, constitutional matters including
board meetings and meetings of the Trust members, company secretarial assistance, banking and finance;
- Employment & HR: includes a review of employee contracts, handbooks and policies (including updates in line
with legislation); settlement agreements, support throughout any HR procedures including grievances,
restructures and redundancies, TUPE, immigration, tribunal claims and risk assessments;
- Commercial Property: this section includes advice on property matters, including rights and burdens affecting
school land, occupation by third parties under inherited local authority leases or licences; Admissions, Exclusions,
SEN, Appeals, Child Protection & Safe Guarding: experienced advice on these
educational matters to ensure you take the appropriate action;
- Dispute Resolution: advice on contentious matters including property disputes, disputes with third parties and
educational negligence claims;
- Health & Safety: this area of law can be time-consuming and place considerable responsibility and liability on
the Trust directors, especially in light of the Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act 2007.
Should legal proceedings be brought against the Trust, Tollers’ solicitors can provide robust legal
Talk to Tollers
We are able to introduce you to an independent insurance provider to cover tribunal costs up to £100,000 per case. Tollers do not provide this insurance itself. Having such an insurance policy is an effective method of safeguarding you against unexpected costs of an employment tribunal and can remove the frustration of having to settle cases on a commercial basis rather than on the merits of the claim. The Tollers package includes access to Tollers’ seminars and legal updates, additional benefits for the employees of the Trust and is subject to Toller’s current terms and conditions (please contact us for full details). Academy conversion projects are excluded from the plan but preferable rates will be applied for the package members.